Even in Northeast Georgia we get crazy weather. It seems like every summer we endure blistering heat, and, in the winter, we fight frigid temperatures, with hurricanes and storms in between. As the seasons change, your home has different needs, and of course you want to protect one of your largest assets. Not to mention, your family’s sanctuary. We have a checklist of chores you should do to prepare your home for colder months. You’ll need to check the interior and the exterior. The following the list you should check off before it’s too late:
- Turn on your furnace for a trial run and replace or clean filters
- Check and repair interior caulking, as needed – sinks, tubs, showers, thresholds, walls, trim, etc.
- Adjust registers for heating
- Inspect fireplace
- Open chimney damper before first fire to inspect, if applicable
- Clean and wax wood cabinets and paneling
- Clean and seal stone countertops and floors
- Clean condensate pump reservoir, if applicable
- Remove hoses and shut off outside faucets. Drain remaining water and leave faucet in the “on” position
- Keep garage doors closed as much as possible to prevent heat from escaping
- Open your bathroom and kitchen cabinets to expose the pipes to heat and let faucets drip (in extreme cold).
- For gas furnaces, adjust thermostat as low as 55-60 degrees when you are away from home. For electric heat pumps, follow manufacturer’s recommendations for setting the thermostat back.
- Keep shrubs, trees and grass watered during dry periods
- Clean and remove debris from gutters
- Check and repair or replace weather-stripping on exterior doors
- Check alignment of gutters, downspouts and splash blocks to ensure that water is properly diverted away from the home
- Rake leaves from your lawn to ensure sunlight and air circulation for grass
- Perform lawn maintenance for your type of lawn (seek professional advice from a local home improvement center or landscaping company)
- Protect your plans from approaching winter freeze: give shrubs a good watering, and protect young evergreens with screens or covers
- Check and repair caulking as needed
- Do not block roof ventilation
PRICED TO MOVE QUICKLY!!!
1. The Lanier on Bsmt | Lot 26 | 4 BR | 2.5 BA |$287,900 1312 Windstone Ct. Winder, GA — SOLD
2. The Oconee on Bsmt | Lot 24 | 3 BR | 2.5 BA | $319,900 1321 Windstone Ct. Winder, GA
3. The Sinclair | Lot 1 | 3 BR | 2 BA | $261,900 1209 Windstone Dr. Winder, GA
- The Gramercy | Lot 101 | 4 BR | 3 BA | $268,900 | 4410 Highland Gate Pkwy Gainesville, GA
- The Sinclair | Lot 5 | 3 BR | 2 BA | $234,900 | 4332 Highland Gate Pkwy Gainesville, GA
- The Notley | Lot 1 | 4 BR | 2.5 BA | $228,900 | 4348 Highland Gate Pkwy Gainesville, GA
- The Sinclair | Lot 79 | 3 BR | 2 BA | $241,900 | 5737 Grant Station Dr. Gainesville, GA
- The Notley on bsmt | Lot 71 | 4 BR | 2.5 BA | $275,900 | 5821 Ridgedale Ct. Gainesville, GA
- The Lanier on bsmt | Lot 72 | 4 BR | 2.5 BA | $285,900 | 5779 Grant Station Dr. Gainesville, GA
- The Oconee – Lot 118 — 3 BR | 2.5 BA $289,900 | 5246 Redhawk Dr. Gainesville, GA
- The Shelly— Lot 119 — 3 BR | 3.5BA $287,900 5242 Red Hawk Dr. Gainesville, GA— SOLD
For more information on any of these homes, send us a message on our contact page or stop by any of our new homes communities!